Saturday, April 25, 2009

First few days on USANA products

My products arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I dug right in.  I took my night time dose of the HealthPak and read everything that came in the three boxes.  It takes a little time to down six pills, one of which is a huge calcium+magnesium pill called Active Calcium.  Huge to me, anyway... I have trouble with pills in general.  I tasted it and yes, the calcium is tasteless so it can be crushed and mixed into oatmeal or something.  The others benefit from drinking with acidic / citrus juice or Nutrimeal to mask their vitaminy flavor.  I've got a technique, and now I think I can deal.

I've managed to keep about 50% with my original gung-ho goal of going with USANA products whenever possible.  This is mainly due to lunch invites this week.  I managed to get two days in a row with a Nutrimeal breakfast, and noticed an immediate result: less hunger.  Here's how those two days went:


Day 1:
Shake at 8:30am.  
Coworker brought in Krispy Kreme donuts and I resisted.  Didn't even open the box.
1 cup of coffee at 10am
Lunch (chinese buffet, aim-for-lighter choices) at noon 
I wasn't hungry but ate anyway.  Normally I'm starving by 11-12.
Rev3 energy drink around 2pm
Looked in donut box.  3 of my favorites.  "If only I was hungry... wait a minute, that's the point."
Rest of the day, just water.


Day 2: 
Shake at 8:30am
1 cup of coffee at 10am
Lunch (office pizza party, ice cream) at noon 
I wasn't hungry but ate anyway
'Sugar coma' energy drain noted around 12:30pm - attributed to ice cream and pizza dough
Considered coffee, but caffeine and 100-200 cal of sugar would make it worse.
Rev3 energy drink at 1:15, energy restored to normal around 1:30-1:45.
A Red Bull would have given me jitters, this didn't.
1 cup of coffee around 3pm mostly for craving.  Energy was fine.
Energy drink and coffee mixed, a bit hyper; won't combine the two again.


  • Both days I felt better than I had earlier in the week, and I have no doubt the Nutrimeal's 15g of protein and 8g of fiber helped to fill me up and regulate my blood sugar.  

  • Friday, just the vitamin pills.  We had bagels and I couldn't resist those.

  • Today had a bagel for breakfast, and Nutrimeal for lunch.  Again, Nutrimeal lasted much longer.

I can compare Nutrimeal to a Slim-Fast shake and say Nutrimeal is far more effective at curing hunger and cravings; when properly blended or shaken, its texture smooths out considerably.  Rev3 has a nonoffensive berry-citrus taste that actually becomes appealing after a couple of ounces; compare to some energy drinks which are Liquid Death Flavor.  

I have to say I'm impressed.  It's hard to make something so healthy taste good.  USANA's done a great job, and kept their ingredients aligned with the principles of quality and health, avoiding artificial and chemical ingredients wherever they can.

The best part about the last four days has to come from the HealthPak; several times over the past few months I noticed extremely low energy and strength.  I decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and it was time to do something about it.  I did, and I'm glad I did.  It's only been four days, but I can feel a difference in the areas that were screaming for help.  


* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

4 comments:

  1. Mark,
    Great post! Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I've been taking the HealthPak for about 2 years now and love it. I also frequently mix up a Nutrimeal for breakfast.

    On a side note, it's great that you're using social media in conjunction with USANA. We're still getting our feet wet on the corporate side but are excited about the possibilities.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tim. I'm learning social media as well. I'm not a very 'social' guy unless there's something I really want to speak about, even to the chagrin of my audience.

    One thing to note with social media, i.e. blogs - anyone can say anything, and whatever's said is on permanent record. It's really important to choose words carefully so they're not misconstrued. If all goes well, social media will be the internet version of traditional network marketing: friends telling each other what they really think. The product sells itself by reputation. But if a company says something suspicious on a blog, the public backlash can be harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm considering on using USANA's Nutrimeal as a weight-loss regimen and thinking of buying two packs. I'm not sure if it's effective in trimming down my weight so I'd like to get a good insight from the people who used it already. Have you found a change in your weight after using Nutrimeal? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina, after nearly 18 months I haven't regained any of the 30 pounds I lost.

    I have a shake for breakfast to maintain, and two or three shakes a day if I plan to actively lose. It's a great way to feed the body without unhealthy amounts of fat or carbs. For quick weight loss and to break the common carb addiction, USANA's RESET program is great. Nutrimeal is at the core of that program. Just healthy macronutrients without diet pills. That's what makes it a lifelong possibility.

    Feel free to email me at markjholmes@Usana.com and we can discuss details.

    ReplyDelete